This is the perfect Fall salad.
- 1 medium Kabocha squash (about 2 lbs) halved lengthwise & seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped (you can also use leeks or red onion)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cooked Flagolet beans
- 1 cup dried cranberries
2. Meanwhile, place kale in a large bowl. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add red-wine vinegar and remaining vinegar-honey mixture to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Immediately pour the hot dressing over kale, and sprinkle with salt & season with pepper. Add squash, beans and cranberries. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand for 5 minutes. Toss until kale wilts slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can also play with this recipe a bit. You can add pine nuts, walnuts, other dried fruits. You can use different hard squash, or do it with raw spinach or arugala. That is how you become a good cook, and make the recipe your own!