Sunday, October 4, 2009

Good Bye to Summer, Hello to Fall


  It is no secret that I don't like the heat, nor is it a secret that our house is going through a major remodel. Well, both are coming to an end. I will miss the new born baby birds tweeting in their nests outside my bedroom window, and the endless amounts of tomatoes, eggplants and squash from my little garden. I will miss the long summer evenings, sitting in my back yard and sipping wine under the tree, looking onto the sun beaten canyon, watching the hawks look for their next victim and pretending I'm back in Spain.
  Our house remodel will also come to an end soon. I will get my kitchen back! There is nothing that I love more than simmering a homemade vegetable curry on a fall night. Full of butternut squash, cauliflower, fingerling potatoes and broccoli. I love to top mine with a full fat organic yogurt. I sit on the couch, a dog at each side and eat two bowls of it over jamine rice while watching re-runs of The Office.
  I will miss the berries of summer, and the peaches and pluots. But I am all to excited to make my favorite brussel sprouts with browned butter and garlic and pots and pots of cool weather greens.
  The farmers markets are choc full of pumpkins, Delicata Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash and the beginging of all the lovely cool weather lettuces. I am sourcing out little sugar pumpkins for your baskets next week. You can display them, but then use them in cooking when Halloween is over. We also found beautiful apples at the market today, that we will be picking up next week for the baskets. They are from a new farm that we found out of Santa Ynez. So look forward to those.
  I am sadly digging the last of my summer veggie garden over this week. Letting the soil rest for a bit. My friend Trisha has started her cool weather vegetable seedlings, and I need to get on it too.  Im going to try and grow brussel sprouts this year. We will see how they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment