Tasty pea soup recipe from one of my favorite French cookbooks: Around My French Tables
Makes 4 servings
PREP: 25 minutes
TOTAL: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces frozen peas (do not thaw)
- 4 cups (lightly packed) sliced romaine lettuce (1/2 of medium head)
- Crème fraîche or sour cream
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 3 cups broth; bring to boil. Stir in peas and lettuce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender and flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to same saucepan and bring to simmer, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls. Top with dollop of crème fraîche and/or bacon.