Monday, October 3, 2011

Bran Flax Muffins w Peach Jalapeno Preserves


Bran Flax Muffins



I had a little potluck at my sisters to attend on Saturday, and was craving something hearty and flavorful. These babies are fantastic, they are extremely heart healthy (no butter????) and are almost like carrot cake. I went straight from the recipe, but threw in an extra fresh ground cinnamon stick and ground cloves (i wanted to taste autumn). Next time I'm trying it out with extra applesnauce and some orange zest.

What to serve with them? cream cheese, butter, or...

Peach jalapeno preserves!

This was my first time making my own preserves and it is impressively easy. I used some mixed peppers I had left over from various CSA boxes.Not too hot, but I imagine it will increase in heat as it sits. Great flavor mix, and with the bran muffins I got some wide eyes and howls (of pleasure). This recipe is from Red Mommy Crafts' blogger, a new found friend.

"Peach Jalapeno Jelly

6 lbs. fresh peaches
3 fresh jalapenos, stems removed
2 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 packs dry pectin

Peel and de-pit peaches. Place peaches and jalapenos in food processor to puree. Add vinegar and lemon juice. Measure out 3 cups of peach mixture and heat to a boil. Be careful, it will splatter. Add 1 packet of pectin and bring to a boil for one minute. Add 3 cups of sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.

Makes 12 half pints"

No comments:

Post a Comment